Our goal is to provide the best possible personalized and professional eye care for you and your family. Services we provide include:
COMPREHENSIVE ROUTINE EYE EXAMS
MEDICALLY RELATED EYE CARE
COMPLETE CONTACT LENS CARE
It is important to know the difference between a comprehensive routine eye exam and medically related eye care. Services that generally relate to both are glasses and contact lenses.
A routine eye exam does not cover any diagnosis, management or treatment of medically related eye diseases. A routine eye exam is for the following: Nearsightedness, Farsightedness, Astigmatism, Presbyopia - when you start to have trouble seeing up close with increasing age.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are here for a routine eye exam and a medically related diagnosis or condition is found at the time, you may need to return for additional visits for further treatment and management.
A medically related eye exam will be billed through your medical insurance. Medical visits include, but are not limited to: Cataracts, Glaucoma, Diabetes, Allergy Related, and Eye Infections at which time you will be referred to another eye physician – optometrist or ophthalmologist. Other medical visits which you may return to our office for further treatment include: Visual Field and depth perception impairment, amblyopia, myopia, presbyopia, strabismus, convergence insufficiency, deficient saccadic eye movement, headaches, etc.
Standard Practices For The Office
Waiting in the waiting room is no longer allowed. No child under the age of 18 is allowed unsupervised in the office. If the patient’s siblings come to the appointment, they are not allowed to wait in the waiting room. It is the parent’s responsibility to supervise their children.
Due to the ever-evolving covid and its variants, and whether the clientele are fully vaccinated or not vaccinated, it is a mandatory requirement that everyone, who enters the office, wear a mask. The clients/patients who are scheduled for appointments must stay in their car and call (203)387-0038 to inform the office of their arrival. When doctor is done with her previous session, the next scheduled patient will be notified to enter the office. DO NOT wait and call from just outside the office door in the hallway! You will be putting others in the building at risk!
Children Under The Age Of 18
No child under the age of 18 is allowed unsupervised in the office. If the patient’s siblings come to the appointment, they are not allowed to wait in the waiting room. It is the parent’s responsibility to supervise their children.
It is Dr. Liu’s standard practice for a parent/or legal guardian to be in attendance with their child (patient) who is under the age of 18. A waiver of attendance is not applicable to this standard of practice.
It is important that the parent or legal guardian be in attendance to be educated (as is the child) on how to do the visual therapy exercises for the purpose of overseeing the child when at home as well as supervising their behavior. It is utmost important that the assigned therapy be done at home during the days in between the office therapy sessions. If not, this will hamper the child’s progress towards better vision and eye health and a positive school experience.
If the parent or legal guardian do not comply, the child’s appointments will be cancelled and care will end.
Patient Appointment Policy
It is very important to your care that you attend your scheduled appointment(s) and arrive on time.
Dr. Liu is highly trained in her field and looks forward to working with you to accomplish your goals in therapy. The office staff will work diligently with you to schedule appointment times that work well for you.
It is important to our business and the care of ALL patients that you inform us if you will not be able to attend an appointment or if you believe that you will be late. In each case, we will make every effort to accommodate you or reschedule your appointment. We ask that you contact us 24 hours in advance or greater if at all possible. If you miss an appointment without prior notice to us, you may be charged a $40 no show fee. For patients who have Medicaid or Husky, we are required to report you to the CT Department of Social Services.
This policy is in place for ALL appointments, whether it is an annual exam, contact lens exam or for visual therapy.
To make changes to your schedule, notify us of a later arrival, or the need to cancel and reschedule, please call the number below:
Dr. Liu's Office
The Office of Phyllis A. Liu OD, FCOVD Policy states:
If you do not show up to your appointment without notification to our office on two (2) occasions or cancel three (3) appointment there is the possibility your future appointments will be removed and whomever referred you may be notified. This is for ALL appointments whether for regular annual exams, contact lens exams, and/or visual therapy.
In this case, it may be necessary for you to obtain a new referral from your physician before rescheduling and continuing treatment.
Thank you for your understanding of this policy and for your cooperation. We look forward to working with you.
Phyllis A, Liu, OD FCOVD and the Office Staff
It is Dr. Liu’s passion to help those who are in need of her unique abilities as a behavioral optometrist/neuro-optometrist, making sure her patients have the care and treatment available to them to gain optimal eye health, because of this Dr. Liu strives to keep her patients in treatment. Dr. Liu will not stop seeing her clients because of financial difficulties. Clients will not be sent to collections, clients will not be cancelled, her door is always open. BUT it is also up to the clients and their guardians to hold true to the commitment of why they are coming to see Dr. Liu in the first place. Unfortunately, because of those clients who did not uphold to the commitment the following has been put into place.
Patient Financial Responsibilities
- For patients with insurance, it is expected that insurance will not pay for all services or materials that are received in this office. Depending on your insurance plan, you will be financially responsible for any services or materials that are not covered by your insurance. These can include costs for orthoptics (eye training materials) ranging from $3.00 to $95 plus tax and eye glasses or contact lenses.
- If our office is not in network with your insurance carrier, you will be expected to pay all expenses of the appointment in full and personally bill your insurance company for any reimbursement. If you do not have insurance, you will be expected to pay all expenses of the appointment in full at the time of your visit. The fees for non-insured and out-of-network providership are: Comprehensive Eye Exam $150 (as opposed to $330) Contact Lens Exams vary from $65 to $250 Visual Therapy Sessions $50 (as opposed to $160) plus costs for orthoptics (eye training materials) ranging from $3.00 to $95 plus tax.
- All insurance co-payments will be due at the time of your visit.
- We require a 50% deposit before any material orders (eye glasses) will be placed. There will not be any refunds of eyewear once fabrication has been started, if your lenses have yet to be started and a job is cancelled a credit will remain on your account.
- All balances must be paid in full prior to the release of materials (eye training, eye glasses, contact lenses).
- Contact lenses will not be exchanged if there is any damage to the box or if it is opened.
- Any deposit left after 60-days will remain as a credit on the account and the order may be cancelled.
Financial Plans Offered
Financial plans are based on the patient’s individual needs. Contact the office to set-up yours: (203)387-0038 or email email@example.com
In acknowledgement of the listed policies, please sign and date in the areas below:
I have read and agree to the above policies and financial responsibilities: